| Courses and Schedules
| Onsite Courses
BSI-Inside the Envelope
BSO-Outside the Envelope
| Online Courses
| This Class May Qualify for:
Best Training School and NORMI Partner with Infraspection Institute for Member Training. Read More
On The Air
Radio Commercial is released.
Continuing Education Units
Best Training School is now offering accredited CEU credits for the States of Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and more!
Best Training School will tailor our classes to fit your requirements by offering the credibility, credentials, and training your company needs.
| Specialized Training
|Specialized Training where the curriculum is customized for your individual staff, business, association, or organization is available through
BestTrainingSchool.com by request.
We are able to tailor our classes to fit your requirements by offering the credibility, credentials, and training your company needs.
BSC - Building Science Courses
BUILDING SCIENCE (What is it?)
Building science is the collection of scientific knowledge that focuses on the analysis and control of the physical phenomena affecting buildings. This includes the detailed analysis of
building materials and building envelope systems. The purpose of building science and understanding the training that supports it is to provide predictive capability to optimize building
performance and understand or prevent building failures. Those failures may include not only structural weaknesses but also failures in securing the building envelope against moisture intrusion
that may result in wood rot, mold, or, in most severe cases, destruction of the structural integrity of the building.
These courses are specifically designed to support the NORMI Certified Durable Builder program but are useful for all interested parties, professionals or clients, who desire a better
understanding of the way building should be constructed to optimize structural strength and longevity. For more information on the NORMI CDB, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details on that
BUILDING SCIENCE Course Descriptions
Inside the Envelope Building Science
- NON-Vented Attics- The benefits of have HVAC Systems in conditioned space far outweigh any, if any, added costs and is the best way to insure efficiency of the entire system! Examples of the
types of framing to allow keeping ductwork within the building envelope will be discussed in detail.
- NON-Vented Crawlspaces- Dept. of Energy recommends this approach in our climate! This class will show when and how a crawl space should be vented or sealed. Specifications and cut sheets
will be included to show the exact way to seal a crawlspace and save money doing so for both the builder and the owner.
- IAQ Basics 101- This class covers the basics of IAQ and the technologies available for solutions. When understanding the seven (7) components of indoor air, it is easier to understand a
wholistic solution to IAQ problems and in creating healthier environments indoors.
- HVAC Systems- A discussion of the efficiency standards and load calculations needed for installation of HVAC systems. Often times this aspect of the construction process is left to the
discretion of the HVAC contractor which results in over or under-sizing units to the detriment of the homeowner's efficiency or power bill.
Outside the Envelope Building Science
- Drainage Planes- How water moves across the building envelope and finds wicking opportunities. Rain in one of the most important factors to control in order to build a durable structure.
This class will show different types of drainage planes and how they work. We will discuss how materials can vary depending upon the specific flashings used to secure the envelope of the living
- Insulating the Envelope- This class will cover different types of insulation and how each works. We will explain "R" factors, heat transfer and include a discussion about how heat and cold
move throughout the structure. This practical view of insulation will result in more efficient and effective ways to insulate the envelope. Order Insulating the Envelope
- Diagnosing Moisture Problems- Investigating/diagnosing air and water infiltration helps to understand the need for sealed envelopes to avoid potential and future moisture problems. Over
eighty percent (80%) of mold problems are a result of ignoring the basics of identifying and fixing moisture problems BEFORE they become a problem or present themselves on the inside of the
envelope. Order Diagnosing Moisture Problems
- Anti-Microbials on Substrates- This discussion covers green water-based anti-microbials and the choice of products available on the market for providing mold prevention, some even have 20
BUILDING SCIENCE Instructors
D. Douglas Hoffman
- State of Florida Certified General Contractor
- State of Florida Certified Plumbing Contractor
- State of Florida Certified Roofing Contractor
- Hillsborough County IAQ Consultant
- CMI, CMA, CMR, CBA, CEE, CIEA
- Executive Director of NORMI
- Approved Training Provider
- Author of Mold-Free Construction
- State of Florida Certified General Contractor
- CMI, CMA, CMR, CBA
- Bachelor of Science, Engineering
- Board of Directors for NORMI
- IAQ Consultant, owner Environmental Solutions, Inc.
- Owner of Remediation Specialists, NJ
- CMA, CMR
- Senior Trainer for Best Training School
- Developer of the QST and PSP programs
- State of Louisiana Certified Building Contractor
- Owner of Elite Homes by Wirth, LA
- Trainer for Best Training School
- Administrator of the NORMI Healthier Home Certification
- National Association of Homebuilder's Officer
Course Dates & Locations
| Click Course for Registration
BSC - Building Science Complete
BSI - Inside the Envelope Building Science
BSO - Outside the Envelope Building Science